Re: [AD] Proposal for Allegro's future (namespaces, et al.)

 Laurence said:
 > > This is my proposal for Allegro's future:
 > >
 > >  - we don't change the API (ie. no prefixes)

 agreed,  the option would be useful when grafting Allegro into a large
 existing program

 > >  - perhaps we do something about clear(), since it stops us using
 > >    ncurses, which is very unfortunate.

 library make option, using two libraries together implies a greater than
 total newbie ability.
 although commenting out the prototype of clear() in your local allegro.h
 would do the trick easily enough?

 > >  - we don't add new stuff (GUI skins, 3D graphics stuff), but we do add
 > >    new implementations (new drivers, optimised routines, et al).

 absolutely, provided we are only talking Allegro 4.x.x

 > > Then, if some people are so inclined :-), they can implement
 > > AllegroZilla, which would:
 > >
 > >  - use the Allegro library, but on compilation, all symbols would be
 > >    renamed via preprocessor defines, to implement prefixes.

 This does seem to allow any side effects of the defines to resolve in the
 library :)

 > >  - have lots of new stuff (GUI skins, etc).
 > >  - merge in AllegroGL
 > >  - change broken API stuff (6-bit palettes, maybe others)

 And some things I would like to see in some bigger versions (just a short
 list OTTOMH)

 -48/64/96/128 bpp bitmaps
 -64 bit API
 -Allegro specific IDE
 -Allegro BASIC (go ahead and laugh) and scripting
 -Dynamic module loading (a.k.a. applets)
 -Real time event dispatch engine to enable multitasking between Allegro
 programs on O/Ses like DOS

 > > And then people can choose between Allegro and AllegroZilla, and

 The design of Allegro 4 is just about complete.  I think now would be a
good
 time to devise a roadmap for the future.
 We should explore the outer limits of science fiction.  Moores Law will
 catch us up soon enough.

 > > everyone will be happy.
 fat chance :)

 Then Elias said...

 > [sensible stuff with MODULAR in it]

 could you send me a copy of your telepathic mind-reading utility please?

 > Probably there would be to think a lot more about the different modules,
 > and about modules/drivers dependencies, but at least I like the idea of
 > Allegro(Zilla) being completely modular, not just some of the drivers..

 Some of these ideas have been developed quite extensively by the Seal
 developers. It might be good if the GUI extensions eventuallly embrace the
 new Seal, which seems to be becoming more Allegro-like again.

 Matt