Re: [AD] CVS: allegro/resource/keyboard ch.cfg,1.1,1.2cz.cfg,1.1,1.2fr.cfg,1.1,1.2ru.cfg,1.1,1.2 se.cfg,1.1,1.2

On Saturday, September 15, 2001 6:31, Stepan Roh wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Eric Botcazou wrote:
> > > But in that case, those keyboards will be for example "Venezuelan" :-)
> > >  etc. Just like US and UK keyboards. And it's also strange to have
> > > "Keyboard: Czech Republic".
> >
> > I think we need to clearly differentiate keyboard layouts and languages,
> > because they are not in an one-to-one mapping.
>
> I suggest to revert it back to "Czech" keyboard, "Spanish" keyboard,
> "French Swiss" keyboard and so on. It's consistent with other software and
> it's also nicer (for me). And maybe translate it to their native
> languages.

Interjection: It should be fine to say "American" and "British" for English
keyboard names.  Sometimes the adjective form of a country's name is
different than the name of its language, as in the case of "Brazilian".  (Of
course, "Portuguese" is still coincident.)

I think we should try to use the country's name, because even if it coincides
with the language ("Portuguese"), the language's name won't coincide with
that of any *other* countries.  (Unless there are two Portugals out there...)

--
Andy Goth  |  unununium@xxxxxxxxxx  |  http://null.cc.uic.edu/~andy/