Re: [AD] Proposal for a timetable

At 09:55 19/09/01 +0200, Eric Botcazou wrote:
>> It's fine by me, although I'd like to modify the setup program to allow
>> the user to select values for gfx_card and gfx_cardw as well as the
>> things that are in there now. Provided no one objects to this, I'll
>> implement it, probably sometime next week.
>
>In my mind, the early feature-freeze doesn't (necessarily) apply to external
>programs and utilities because it's high-level code. So I would say you have
>time.

Well, since no one seems to disagree with you, I'll take my time.

>> I think I'd also like to add a gfx_cardf or something, so that we have
>> config variables corresponding to each of GFX_AUTODETECT,
>> GFX_AUTODETECT_WINDOWED and GFX_AUTODETECT_FULLSCREEN.
>
>Is a third gfx_card* variable really needed ? I think it's nearly implicit
>that gfx_card points to a fullscreen driver, given that gfx_cardw always
>points to a windowed driver.
>
>The gfx_cardw variable was really needed because you may want to change the
>order of windowed drivers without seeing all your Allegro programs starting
>in windowed mode. Now if you want to change the order of fullscreen drivers,
>you simply set the gfx_card variable and this choice won't affect programs
>that want a windowed driver.
>
>Others may have another point of view though...

Well, since no one else commented on this, I don't think others care either
way. From a pragmatic standpoint, I totally agree with you, but I think
that since we have three autodetect modes, it also makes sense to select a
default for each.
The main reason why I'd like to add one is that the user might prefer one
specific driver for fullscreen mode, while running programs that don't care
in a window. Double-using the gfx_card variable, this is not possible.

Evert