Re: [AD] packaging trouble

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 04:23:26PM +1000, Peter Wang wrote:
> I don't understand all this stuff.  Is there a document somewhere
> explaining PIC, non-PIC, etc.?  (not info gcc)  I suppose someone
> would have mentioned it by now.

There's some information in ELF documentation I've read (the
HOWTO, I think, or possible the shared library HOWTO).  Not much
though -- it doesn't go into details about code generation, it
just says you must use -fPIC when building shared libraries.
The reason, I think, is that when the library is loaded into
memory its code can be shared by different programs, at
different logical addresses, so it must not require relocation.

George