Re: [AD] packaging trouble

On 29 Jul 2001, Eduard Bloch <edi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> gcc -shared -o lib/unix/alleg-esddigi-3.9.37.so obj/unix/module/uesd.o -L/usr/X11R6/lib -rdynamic -s  -lesd
> /usr/bin/ld: obj/unix/module/uesd.o: relocation R_PARISC_DPREL21L can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

I guess you should do as the error message says and recompile
`uesd.c' with `-fPIC'.  For a quick check, you can just edit
`makefile.dep'.  Maybe that will magically fix things.

I don't understand all this stuff.  Is there a document somewhere
explaining PIC, non-PIC, etc.?  (not info gcc)  I suppose someone
would have mentioned it by now.