Re: [AD] packaging trouble

#include <hallo.h>
George Foot wrote on Fri Aug 03, 2001 um 09:59:35AM:

> Remember my Allegro workaround -- we can leave libXxf86dga out
> of the shared library, and require the user to link it in
> staticly.  This takes a little logic in the configure script

I could do it myself, but I don't like it at all. The idea of having
shared libraries is to share the code, linking static again would be a
step back and would make the applications depends directly on xlibs. The
plugin system is a good way to go, and may be improved in the future.
Currently, I discovered another problem with symbols in mode-X driver,
which could also be solved using plugins. This symbol dependency is one
of the worst disadvantages of the ELF format as far as I can see.

> It'll be most useful if it can detect which libraries cause
> problems, so that this problem never comes up again.

I see the following problems in 3.9.37:

- static symbols in hard-linked drivers (ie. _x_unbank_switch, contained
  in modex.c and modexgfx.c)
- non-PIC code linked from libXxf86dga

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Air DOS:
Die Fluggäste schieben das Flugzeug an, bis es schnell genug ist und