Re: [AD] mode list update and implementation for vga, modex and xtended gfx drivers.

> The BeOS fullscreen driver uses the so called "Game Kit", which is a serie of
> classes that are used for game programming (gfx and sound mainly). Using this
> method you are allowed to set a mode among a list of modes that *the OS*
> supports... It may happen that your card doesn't support a specific mode, but
> using the game kit you're not allowed to know it before setting the mode. I
> may use another non-gamekit method that enumerates the modes, but I'm not
> sure if this would return the same list or a more correct one... I'll try!

Something which also might have to do with the Game Kit: I have some problems
with the monitor refresh rate under BeOS. I was just starting to look at it,
but maybe you know more about it. I think the behaviour should be like this: If
I set a FS mode, and it has the same desktop color-depth and resolution as the
desktop i'm running it under, then the mode should also use the same frequency.
Right now, it always drops the frequency to 60Hz causing FS modes to be totally
unusable. (Under DirectX in Windows, it work as expected though)
I was reading a bit in the BeBook, and it seems like BScreen::ProposeMode() in
the "Interface Kit" would be useful, but I'm not familiar enough with the BeOS
port yet though to start implementing it. It looks like it can be used along
with the Game Kit, by just adjusting the pixel clock / refresh rate
independently.
And something else, do you also get a hand cursor displayed while in FS mode? I
can't even tell if this is common in BeOS, as the only FS apps I tried so far
were Allegro games..

--
Elias Pschernig