Re: [AD] Big BeOS patch

Angelo Mottola <a.mottola@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> First of all, I'll let you know I already submitted to sourceforge another
> BeOS patch that fixes some things and adds hardware acceleration support to
> the fullscreen driver. I uploaded it to the Allegro project page last night,
> but had no time to post a message here...

I committed it yesterday but had no time to update the SourceForge page.

> As I said, I don't know how to generate dependencies, so I'd really like to
> know what you did to compile the thing under your Be box.

I ran zipup.sh under Linux (cheating :-)  I'll check later if BeOS
has enough Unix in it to generate the dependencies.

> Ok, now on the comments about the old patch:
> > - after using windowed mode, cursor is hidden when over allegro_message
> >   window (test program: demo)
>
> Hiding/showing the cursor under Be is done at BApplication class level only
> AFAIK, so this is an expected side effect... Message boxes are still part of
> the Allegro app.

Yes, I see.  But it's still annoying trying to click on something
when you can't see your mouse.  You could push Enter, but...

> > - "phony" mouse cursor should move even if window unfocused
>
> Don't know what you mean here; try the new patch and see if it fixes this...

What I meant by "phony mouse cursor" was the mouse cursor drawn by
Allegro itself.  If the window is unfocused then moving the mouse
above the window doesn't move the mouse, as if the program was
paused (which it very well might be).  Strange behaviour to user.

> > - occasionally leaves mess on the desktop after quitting
>
> ?? Never had such problems. Can you tell me exactly what you did? (and what
> was the configuration of your desktop)

It's very rare, and seems to happen under all desktop color depths.
I can't reproduce it, so I can't tell you how to do it either :-(

My guess as to what is happening is that the drawing thread seems to
draw to the BeOS screen framebuffer one last time after the window
has been closed.  BeOS doesn't restore the background behind the
window, so you get a picture of the closing program on your desktop
(you can "clean" it by wiping another window over it, as it uses
dirty rectangles).

> > - claims to support hardward scrolling, but it doesn't (AFAICS)
>
> Humm, I also think scrolling in windowed mode should be disabled, as it makes
> no sense.

I agree.

--
GENDERPLEX (JEN dur pleks), n.  The predicament of a person in a theme
restaurant who is unable to determine his or her designated restroom (e.g.