Re: [AD] CVS access to Allegro

George Foot <george.foot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Recently I moved AllegroGL to SourceForge, which provides free
> hosting for opensource projects and a range of optional services,
> including a CVS root.

Seems every 5 line shell script is moving to SourceForge, though not
without good reason.  Centralised *anything* makes me squeamish --
maybe I'm just paranoid. :-)

> to another maintainer for commiting.  That's really equivalent
> to them using the current system though, downloading the latest
> WIP and working from that.  That would still be possible, of
> course -- if we start using CVS, I think we should take care not
> to alienate any developers because of that!

Yes, there still needs to be regular "official" releases.  Most
people won't upgrade until some kind of announcement is made,
especially if you need to download extra software just to do it
(Windows users probably don't have CVS installed).

> SourceForge has many other facilities too -- web site hosting
> (we already have two, but maybe it would be worth adding another
> mirror), mailing lists (no, I don't think we need any more!),

Tom said he needed to get Allegro off Canvaslink.  If that's not
sorted out yet...

> Please let me know what you all think about this.  I won't
> register it without Shawn's direct consent, obviously, but
> everybody else matters too.

It's nice to at least give Shawn the chance to look things over
before applying a patch, but to relieve the pressure off him, I
think we should give SourceForge/CVS a try.  I just don't want to
be the one making a bad commit :-)

Peter
--
tjaden@xxxxxxxxxx - http://www.psynet.net/tjaden/
This sig will remain in place until I think of something witty.