Re: [AD] Some Debian compatibility issues

On Sun, 2 Jan 2000, Shawn Hargreaves wrote:
> > Also, is there's some way configure could check if the install-info
> > program is from Debian, I can provide you with a working setup of the
> > needed switches if the Debian install-info is detected.

> What does yours have to say for itself?

Mine says:

Debian GNU/Linux install-info 1.4.0.34.1.  Copyright (C) 1994,1995
Ian Jackson.  This is free software; see the GNU General Public Licence
version 2 or later for copying conditions.  There is NO warranty.

> Also, does the makefile actually try to run install-info and gets an
> error, or does it skip that entirely? (it already has a check that tries
> running install-info --version and then gives up if that fails).

It tries to run but fails, printing the commandline help just as when you
don't use any arguments at all.

> If your version message is different somehow, perhaps it
> could grep the results of that and then use different options depending
> which it finds. That is somewhat ridiculous, though: it strikes me that an
> installation utility is one thing that absolutely has to stay compatible,
> and yet my version of it won't work at all with the options that yours
> accepts!

Just to get better, the solution proposed by Gorga on the AML doesn't work
at all for me. At my computer I have to remove totally any existence of
the --infodir thing.

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz - gradha@xxxxxxxxxx
Gogosoftware - http://welcome.to/gogosoftware/

 WinError 02F: Illegal operation has caused an general error while
 sharing resources with task 00BFD4 running under DOS window at 3B0 mode
 and memory latency mode at 1-3-3-3. Please tell us what this means.