Re: [AD] Some Debian compatibility issues

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz <gradha@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Mine says:
>
> Debian GNU/Linux install-info 1.4.0.34.1.  Copyright (C) 1994,1995
> Ian Jackson.  This is free software; see the GNU General Public Licence
> version 2 or later for copying conditions.  There is NO warranty.

I can't find any author credits in the docs for my version, but the fact
that it mentions "Debian GNU/Linux" implies that this is a totally different
program to the GNU version (mine is copyright the FSF, so it looks like
their official one). I presume there is no official standard for the
arguments to this program, since info pages are a GNU thing rather than
anything to do with Posix.

But, we can always just grep the version string for "Debian" and use
different options if that comes up. Or maybe not: this is incredibly ugly,
and I have a hard time believing that other packages do this. I don't have
that many sources that come with info pages, but most of those that do seem
to ignore the dir file entirely, so perhaps we ought to do the same. It's a
pity not to update it, though, given that install-info exists and there is
nothing other than stupid reasons for it not to work!

> Just to get better, the solution proposed by Gorga on the AML doesn't work
> at all for me. At my computer I have to remove totally any existence of
> the --infodir thing.

I'm starting to lose track of this, so just to check that I've got it all
right:

- both you and Gorga have "Debian" in your --version messages.
- the install command works if you just remove the $(INFO_DIR) from the end
- likewise uninstall works if you take out $(INFO_DIR)
- installation fails if the dir file doesn't already exist

Have I got that right? So the install command would be:

   install-info $(infodir)/allegro.info

and to remove would be:

   install-info --remove $(infodir)/allegro.info

--
Shawn Hargreaves - shawn@xxxxxxxxxx - http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/
"A binary is barely software: it's more like hardware on a floppy disk."