Re: [AD] Some Debian compatibility issues

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz <gradha@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Somehow. I cannot pipe the output of install-info to grep. However I can:
>
> install-info --version 2> tmp; grep Debian tmp; rm tmp

How about "install-info --version 2>&1 | grep Debian"? That redirects stderr
to stdout, then pipes that as normal.

> Also, once you run grep, how do you know if the word was found?

if whatever_program | grep -q "searchstring"; then
   do stuff
fi

> mv /usr/local/info/dir /usr/local/info/ddir
>
> At this moment info viewer keeps working, looks like the dir file at
> usr/local/info/dir is some copy of usr/info/dir.

The main system one is (at least for me :-) in /usr/info, it's just extra
programs you install that go in /usr/local/info. The viewer merges contents
from both files.

> Now I do 'install-info docs/allegro.info' and it keeps working...

Does that add the entry to /usr/info/dir, or did it make a new dir file in
the docs directory?

--
Shawn Hargreaves - shawn@xxxxxxxxxx - http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/
"A binary is barely software: it's more like hardware on a floppy disk."