Re: [AD] Working on Allegro port for Borland C++Builder

Greg Hackmann <hacker@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I am currently working on getting (Win)Allegro working with Borland
> C++Builder.

Cool!

> Unfortunately, because C++Builder is so strict as far as ANSI compliance
> goes (at least I think that's the reason), it's not possible to recompile
> the Allegro library (nor will it probably ever be);

Porting the library itself is a major job, because parts of it (especially
inline asm, and use of many libc functions and OS calls) are extremely
non-portable by definition. But you should certainly be able to get all the
support programs and examples to compile cleanly: if not, they ought to be
fixed up until they do work.

> you have to import the MSVC ones the way Mingw32 does.

I think that's a good way for most Windows compilers to do it.

> Before I fix all of this and submit the code, am I duplicating anybody
> else's work?

Not that I know of.

> (I'm using 3.9.29, which I think is the most recent

I released a 3.9.30 just before Christmas. But lib changes shouldn't affect
your work too much, as the things you are changing will (I hope :-) be in
quite different places.

--
Shawn Hargreaves - shawn@xxxxxxxxxx - http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/
"A binary is barely software: it's more like hardware on a floppy disk."