Re: [AD] Some Debian compatibility issues

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Shawn Hargreaves wrote:
> > Somehow. I cannot pipe the output of install-info to grep. However I can:
> >
> > install-info --version 2> tmp; grep Debian tmp; rm tmp
>
> How about "install-info --version 2>&1 | grep Debian"? That redirects stderr
> to stdout, then pipes that as normal.

Yes, that works fine. I guess that this should be put somewhere in the
configure script, and depending on the true/false value use one version o
other, right?

I will talk with Gorka about some other specific flags which may help (or
not). As of today, the line $(INSTALL_INFO) $(infodir)/allegro.info works
for both of us, although for Gorka that installs the info file into
/usr/info instead of /usr/local/info. However, IMHO that's much better
than having a broken install-info target.

> > Now I do 'install-info docs/allegro.info' and it keeps working...
>
> Does that add the entry to /usr/info/dir, or did it make a new dir file in
> the docs directory?

This adds the entry to /usr/info/dir. The local version at
/usr/local/info/dir is not recreated. Huh, that's strange... maybe because
I am installing as root? No, it doesn't make sense, as I don't have access
to the install-info command as normal user. :-?

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz - gradha@xxxxxxxxxx
Gogosoftware - http://welcome.to/gogosoftware/

 "Cientos guerreros han caído, pero morir era su deber." - Gigatrón