Re: [translations] Git translation branch policy change: merge with and from stable/2.16

2012/10/20 David Kastrup <dak@xxxxxxx>:

> If it is ok with people, I'd propose the following course in order to
> get the ball rolling again:
>
> I'll merge stable/2.16 into translation.  That should be unproblematic.
> Then I'll merge translation into staging.  This will require a bit of
> cleanup and conflict resolution.

The only problems I foresee, will come from original English docs. As
we have not translated anything new since the fork, all translated
material is directly dumpable there. Not blindly, though, you know
what I mean.

> I am willing to take care of that and of the translation merges into
> staging when translation is still based on stable.

How is this useful? Here I can see a clear need of two translation
branches. It translation is based on stable, we can not work on devel
branch.

> Since one purpose of
> getting staging up to date with regard to translations is to be able to
> do extensive convert-ly work, the merging might be a bit tricky until
> things move over completely.

My proposal is to move to devel branch, merge master on translation
and forget about stable.  We have been freezed for too long. Not a
line of any new material in devel releases has been translated.

> I am not sure when translators will want to move their focus to master
> rather than stable again: it might be possible to create a branch
> translation-stable for working on stable branch translations, but I
> would like to phase out stable branch work eventually and so a separate
> translation-stable can still be left for a time when we feel we really
> need it.  Probably cherry-picking will be enough if commits for
> unstable-only material are kept separate well enough.

Agreed. But specifically, you mean cherry-picking
translation-->staging or translation-->stable?

> At any rate, with this plan it is more or less up to the translators to
> decide when they think 2.16.1 is ready.  There is not much I
> cherry-picked into the stable branch since the last translation merge,

I think nothing has been, for the translations' sake

> and I'd not like to wait much longer than a week for 2.16.1 in
> consequence, but 2.16.2 will likely take quite longer.
>
> People fine with that?

The question is: translators, do you plan to update yet something for
stable? whe we are reasonably done with stable, let's forget it and
move to staging.

As for Spanish, I am done. Can not speak for others.