Re: [translations] Git translation branch policy change: merge with and from stable/2.16

Le 20/10/2012 20:33, Francisco Vila disait :
2012/10/20 David Kastrup <dak@xxxxxxx>:

If it is ok with people, I'd propose the following course in order to
get the ball rolling again:

I'll merge stable/2.16 into translation.  That should be unproblematic.
Then I'll merge translation into staging.  This will require a bit of
cleanup and conflict resolution.

The only problems I foresee, will come from original English docs. As
we have not translated anything new since the fork, all translated
material is directly dumpable there. Not blindly, though, you know
what I mean.

I think you mean all @lilypond that might have changed in-between?

I am willing to take care of that and of the translation merges into
staging when translation is still based on stable.

How is this useful? Here I can see a clear need of two translation
branches. It translation is based on stable, we can not work on devel
branch.

That's what I feared since the freeze: having to maintain two sets of translations.

Since one purpose of
getting staging up to date with regard to translations is to be able to
do extensive convert-ly work, the merging might be a bit tricky until
things move over completely.

My proposal is to move to devel branch, merge master on translation
and forget about stable.  We have been freezed for too long. Not a
line of any new material in devel releases has been translated.

I am not sure when translators will want to move their focus to master
rather than stable again: it might be possible to create a branch
translation-stable for working on stable branch translations, but I
would like to phase out stable branch work eventually and so a separate
translation-stable can still be left for a time when we feel we really
need it.  Probably cherry-picking will be enough if commits for
unstable-only material are kept separate well enough.

Agreed. But specifically, you mean cherry-picking
translation-->staging or translation-->stable?

I think what should be done is
  translation synchronizes with staging
  translation-stable synchronizes with staging/x.y

so, there would be
1- one merry-go-round: staging->master->translation->staging
2- cherry-picking from master towards stable when needed
3- one merry-go-round stable <--> translation-stable

At any rate, with this plan it is more or less up to the translators to
decide when they think 2.16.1 is ready.  There is not much I
cherry-picked into the stable branch since the last translation merge,
and I'd not like to wait much longer than a week for 2.16.1 in
consequence, but 2.16.2 will likely take quite longer.

People fine with that?

The question is: translators, do you plan to update yet something for
stable? whe we are reasonably done with stable, let's forget it and
move to staging.

As for Spanish, I am done. Can not speak for others.

I just updated the searchbox before having some visitors yesterday.
Everything is up to date on my side for 2.16.

One might check the result of a po-replace before releasing.

I'll be on vacation between nov. 5 and 11 (except one day for my mother's 80th birthday).

Cheers,
Jean-Charles