Re: [translations] how to handle snippets commit if you don't have push access

2012/1/5 Federico Bruni <fedelogy@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi,
>
> I've just sent the first chapter of NR to the italian proofreader.
> While waiting for his feedback, I have a few questions about the patches
> that I'll have to send.
>
> It's all about the snippets management, which caused me some headache a
> couple of months ago:
> http://lilypond-translations.3384276.n2.nabble.com/CG-5-8-3-updating-committish-of-lsr-snippets-td6852329.html
>
> I'm thinking about sending two patches first and then a third after the two
> are applied.
> The first two patches will be:
>
> 1) files related to notation manual
> 2) snippets updated by makelsr
>
> I think it's better to split them, right?

Right.

> The third:
>
> 3) my .texidoc files containing the committish generated by Francisco when
> committing patch 2.

As an alternative: include your .texidocs in  patch 2 with the
committish unaltered, then the new committishes in patch 3.

This patch 3 would contain changes in committishes only.  Also, patch
2 would not contain diffs in committishes. So, the overall size of the
patch set would be nearly the same.

> The reason is: I can't place the committish of my local commit, because,
> since I don't push the patch, the real committish will be different (BTW, as
> I don't have push access, my local committishes are always bad objects).

Probably. Makes sense but I have not verified that. I believe you
because you have experienced it many times.

> I think also that I'd better update the committish of all the other
> it/*.texidoc files in order to stop check-translation to put garbage in the
> diff :)

I am not sure this is necessary but it is easy to do, theoretically
harmless and it has advantages because simplifies things. The drawback
is, the patch is unnecessarily big.

> Of course, after checking that nothing has changed in the title or in the
> description of the snippets.
>
> Does it make sense?

At a glance, I'd say yes.