Re: [translations] program .po file: need explanation on some strings

2011/1/28 Francisco Vila <paconet.org@xxxxxxxxx>:
> 2011/1/28 Federico Bruni <fedelogy@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> Thanks,
>>
>>> "ascending vaticana style flexa"
>>>
>>> a flexa in the style of the vaticana edition, which is ascending.
>>
>> that's the only string I've not translated yet.
>> What is a flexa? Can you give me some pointer?
>
> A Gregorian two-note neuma.  Also called Clivis.

I meant: also _known as_ Clivis.

> I've reviewed the whole file and I have a final question:
>
> "new \textscript markup text"

The main noun is "text", "markup" is a modifier of it, "\textscript"
is a kind or a class or a mean to create a markup text.

> I use to look at spanish and french translations when I'm not sure.
> But 'markup text' has been translated in different ways:
>
> nouvelle étiquette de texte \textscript

IMO this is for "\textscript text markup", but I am not the French translator.

> nuevo texto de marcado \textscript

Here I put text as the main noun trying to honour the original.

> Also, later on I often find 'text markup'.

The main noun would be "markup".

> But.. what is 'markup text'?

It would refer to the text itself, inside a markup, of working as a markup.

For me, most of the work on translating is to reorder main nouns and
modifier/genitive/belonging/whatever nouns and adjectives to the right
Spanish (and italiano) order.  I try to detect the main one and apply
the rest accordingly.

At the same time, 'honouring the original' at any cost is not always
the best thing to do.  We, as our own language lovers, should always
write the best possible form of the original in our language, try to
guess what the original tries to say.  Think of a famous Italian
writer and imagine how would he write the phrase in Italian, as if he
invented it from scratch.

Just thinking aloud...