Re: [translations] How to use git

Am 10.11.10 16:44, schrieb Francisco Vila:
2010/11/10 Till Paala<till.rettig@xxxxxx>:
never mind, Valentin explained it. I meant the message from a commit that
merges my tree when I have done updates and pulled on top of them.
Right, then.  This is what I do to avoid any unwanted merge: try
pushing as soon as possible after a pull.  Do not pull a day, make
changes for some days, then push. You can understand that many things
could happen in the meantime on origin.
Yes, this is reasonable, fortunately I didn't have much manual merges, my tree is normally ok, it's just in a different state than origin
If the pull can't fast-forward my tree, and for any reason I can not /
do not know how to push a clean commit, a last resort trick is git
format-patch<my first commit>.  Then reset to a version which you are
sure it is on origin.  A quick look at

   http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/lilypond/translation

usually helps.  Do 'git log' frequently and compare your output with
the one from that page.

Once you are sure that your history matches that of origin, apply with
'git am' the patches you made before, then push.

I know these are somewhat personal tips and tricks, not optimal or
professional enough, but they work.  I am open (and thankful) to
suggestion for improvements to this.

Yeah, have just been to lazy up to now to do it this style; after all isn't git meant to work that way: everybody does their stuff locally and reconnects and commits the changes when he is done. But I will see if I can develop a work flow with doing patches and applying them on top.

Till