[translations] Re: Translation of the website to German

Le lundi 18 janvier 2010 à 23:17 +0200, Till Paala a écrit :
> thanks for the fast answer now I got the right address :-)

What do you mean?  If you write to lilypond-user, I will most likely
miss your mail, as I only have a quick glance at subject titles now and
then; if you write to -devel, which I read much more, I may overlook it
too...  I just added a (maybe dense) note in the CG (Contributors'
Guide) for this.

> John Mandereau schrieb:
> > Read or reread the CG about translators names.

Oops, sorry, I meant the note about translating cross-references:  see
4.8 Translating the documentation -> Documentation translation details
-> the Note in a round frame.

> I didn't understand that -- where is this part in the CG? From CG at
> least I unterstood that it is totally fashionable to translate a node
> name and mark it as not translated -- so this can be like that for the
> moment -- but is this file going to be translated at all? I couldn't
> find it in the CG? Should I remove the translation?

You should remove all text in English in nodes you didn't translate at
all; then, if node names of empty nodes (i.e. nodes containing only
"@untranslated") are already translated and the associated sectioning
command is immediately followed with @translationof, then it's OK, this
is the first strategy (and the old one) proposed in the Note I mentioned
just above.

There is no problem per se with translating section Community, although
it may not make sense translating everything, and you may take distance
from the original text, depending on what you know the community in your
language is willing to support, which is possible only if you
personnally assume this support, or there exists a public forum or
mailing list listed in Community for LilyPond in your language:

- "Bug reports" should be translated only if you know that every bug
report sent on your language's mailing list or forum will be handled by
someone who will translate it to English and send it on bug-lilypond or
add an issue in the tracker, then translate back the reply from
developers.

- "Help us" should be translated very freely: ask help for contributing
to LilyPond for tasks that LilyPond community in your language is able
and going to handle.

I just added this piece of info to the CG BTW.

> > If you didn't rebase, then there is no problem.  If you rebased, then
> > please fix the committishes: for each committish HHHH present in the
> > translated files, do "git show --stat HHHH" and find the almost
> > identical commit that resulted from rebasing by looking for a commit
> > with the same commit message and diffstat, then replace the old
> > committish with the one you just found.
> >
> I think I did rebase but cannot figure out what you mean -- I will
> anyhow push and modify the commitishes after that as you proposed in
> the CG.

Can you tell me exactly what you couldn't figure out?  If it's Git
vocabulary, look it up from Git documentation (man pages and manuals;
especially, "git rebase" man page shows commented graphs that might make
help you understand the hints I gave you).  I can't find in the CG where
I propose to modify the committishes after having rebased, where have
you seen it?  In the CG, it is also clearly recommended to not pull with
rebasing (2.3.2 Pushing and rebasing) for translators, and there is no
real need to require rebasing anyway, so I can't support you more on
this issue than the hints I already gave you.

Best,
John