Re: [kobuge-devel] New Members

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 3:45 PM, Божидар Маринов <bojidar.marinov.bg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 6:46 AM, Manson Mamaril <mansonmamaril@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello all,

Recently kobuge has been mentioned multiple times in the Godot Facebook page. And also some expressed their intention to join. We might need to set a definite week in which we are all/mostly online to be able to welcome them or maybe put a poster (I volunteer to create it) to invite them in our group.

Any thoughts? :)

👍 That sounds like a great idea. I have some questions though...
1. What is expected from us? To hang in IRC waiting for questions? To help them learn godot better?
2. How would we choose that week? Consensus?
3. Are there going to be any limits on the number of newcomers or are people going to be graded and filtered (or anybody is welcome)?

1. I imagine them helping with the games we are making and for those who not expert on the field, we (or those experts) will be the mentors.

1.1 I also imagine like a GSOC-like pattern in which new comers have games in mind and we are mentors? :)

2. The best would be on a weekend... the only difference is the time zones...

3. Everybody would be welcome... as long as we would understand each other's goal... :D

Hi everyone,

Though I agree that we should invite people widely to contribute to the creation of libre games in Kobuge, I think we should also tread carefully. The more people we invite, the more difficult it will be to really do stuff as a team. And that's okay too, currently we are all working on different games, be it Ringed, Raines, Libre Pinball or DynaDungeons.

What I'm getting at is that IMO we should not promise git access to @KOBUGE-Games to any newcomer who just arrived on the #kobuge channel, as I've seen done recently. Git is a powerful too, and also pretty hard to master, and personally I don't think that we want tons of people with write access to our repos because we were overly friendly. It's pretty easy with write access to e.g. empty the git repo of Ringed, and force push it to GitHub, thus breaking it for good. I'm not saying people will do that, but just don't hand out credentials to anyone too easily. It can also discredit Kobuge as a trustworthy indie studio if anyone can mess with our things. Of course that's my personal opinion, you are free not to agree with me :P

Now to the point of welcoming new users, we can try to organize some things, but: when I'm not on the IRC channel, it's because I'm not available. If I'm available, I'm lurking there already. And I believe it's the same for most of us, at least Alket and Calinou. So I don't really see a point in organizing a special week for welcoming people. We should not give them high expectations to what we can offer: I don't think any of us has time to be a full-time mentor as would be expected in a GSoC program. We are just a bunch of friends hanging out in our channel, and we chat and help each other there when we are around. That's IMO the only expectation that newcomers should have: friendly idlers that work on nice libre games :)

Let's just build a strong community of libre developers on #kobuge, and if some newcomers want to participate in our projects, we can encourage them to do pull requests, and eventually if we feel that some of them are doing a good job and follow the same values as we do, we can add them to the GitHub organisation too. But I would not propose to newcomers to host their code on @KOBUGE-Games right after they've joined the channel. Let them start their work in their own namespace like Calinou and I are doing, and if there's interested on both sides to make their project a Kobuge project, then the repo can be moved without problems.

Hope I'm not sounding too negative :)

Cheers,
Rémi / Akien