Re: [chrony-users] Accurately measuring clock drift

Joe,

Well, it is not merely a timeserver that I am after...  those are easy to find (also as surplus).
And here at home I have a LeoNTP.  Nice timeserver, unfortunately IPv4 only despite lots of promises.

We do operate a number of transmitter stations in a simulcast repeater network.
For that to work, the time on the server itself must be accurate to a few microseconds.
The original poster of this topic (that I sort of hi-jacked) seems to be doing a similar thing.

For time on the server to be that accurate, sync to another server using NTP, even over the local
network, is not good enough.  That is why we sync to 1PPS pulses from a suitable GPSDO that
also outputs the 10 MHz reference frequency for the transmitter.

We use the "1PPS to RS232 DCD input" method, with "ldattach" to make the serial port into
a /dev/pps0 and lock chrony to that.  That works reasonably well, but with many GPSDO units
that we use we need to stretch the pulse, and also the pulses are usually filtered on the
RS232 board so I think it would be better to have a dedicated board for this purpose that
solves all issues.  Maybe an Intel I210 card is closer to what we need than an RS232 port.
(still requiring the pulse stretcher / level conversion)

Rob