Re: [chrony-users] Accurately measuring clock drift

Miroslav,

Are you aware of any affordable PCIe card that supports PPS input on a generic PC server?

Ideally would be like this:

- TTL input of a PPS signal with minimal pulse length all the way down to 100ns
- some hardware time stamping method
- supported interface to chrony
- maybe even a serial port in addition

That would be ideal to interface an external GPSDO to a Linux server with best accuracy,
like for simulcasting.  We could use a couple of these in our network...  it would work better
than the RS232 DCD input that we use now, avoid the need for a "pulse stretcher" as is
now required with some types of GPSDO, and custom cables to feed the signal in the RS232
port that is already used for many purposes.

It seems like something that could be easily designed, but of course any low-volume PCIe
card tends to be quite expensive...  and cards from the well known manufacturers in this
field are way outside our budget.

Rob