Re: [chrony-users] Regarding socket permissions

On Tue, Mar 14, 2023 at 09:03:18AM +0100, Morten Nissov wrote:
> Is there a material difference in performance using SHM vs socket? My
> understanding was maybe, as SHM polls. If there is no significant
> difference then I don't really need sockets.

If there is only one sample per poll (dpoll == poll), there might be
some difference, but probably not significant. Try it and see.

Note that SHM is now deprecated in favor of SOCK for security reasons.
There is no defined order of starting the SHM producer and consumer,
so chronyd doesn't know if an existing segment wasn't created by an
attacker trying to feed chronyd with fake samples.