RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: [chrony-users] Allow PPS to take over after NTP is in sync

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021, Yoed Stavi wrote:

[CAUTION: Non-UBC Email]

Hi Miroslav,

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that and I can't freely access the system to check.
I do know that the NTP server was stratum 14 so I imagine that there's plenty wrong with the time on it vs. the PPS, in both frequency and offset.

The purpose of the server is to get the seconds right. Ie, for the ntp server,
it is crucial that it be within about 1/2 sec of UTC. After that pps can take
over.  It would probably help us give advice if you gave us specific example
of what ntp does, what pps does and why you say they are in conflict. They really cannot be in conflict. ntp server gives the seconds which pps does
not. pps gives the nanoseconds, which the ntp server does not. So where is the
conflict?

Regards,
 Yoed.