Re: [chrony-users] chrony-top

Hello Miroslav,

This is much better. The bash script with all unix commands is fast and doesn't cost much cpu activity, especially compared to the python script.

As you said, it resets counters, which is just fine for my purposes of discovering ip addresses of high ntp usage.

This also requires root privileges, same as the python version, but it's quite good.

I plan no more updates to chrony_top.py or chrony_top.sh. This works well.

Marc

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 3:36 AM Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 11:39:48PM -0400, Marc Compere wrote:
> Can someone try this out and let me know if it works? It works on Ubuntu
> 20.04.2 quite well and reports something similar to the attached screenshot:
> [image: chrony_top_screenshot.png]
>
> It must be run as sudo or root, so make sure you read the script before
> executing. It's simple and short. It makes a folder in /tmp to save output
> from `chronyc -nc clients`.

Interesting, thanks for posting.

I tried it on one of my servers which is logging 512k clients at the
same time and the script was a bit too heavy on the CPU. It takes a
long time to fetch all the clients and then sort them.

In recent chrony versions the clients command has the -r option to
reset the counters and the -p option to select clients that has at
least some number of accesses. Together, they can make an efficient
top-like utility, e.g.:

#!/bin/sh

#reset counters
chronyc -n clients -r -p -1 > /dev/null

while true; do
        sleep 1
        echo
        chronyc -c clients -r -p 1 | \
                awk -F , '{ printf "%40s\t%d\n", $1, $2 }' | \
                sort -n -r -k 2 | \
                head -n 20
done

The obvious drawback is that it's constantly resetting all the
counters, so there must be nothing else using them.