RE: [chrony-users] Chronyc Call to Add Refclock

> I've tried restarting chrony, then delete the ntp, reading the ntp with the offset, and then makestep. That works, but then itll only sync to the PPS half the time. Is there some combination of adding prefer and trust to make it work? I tried adding prefer and trust to the PPS and its still a gamble.
> I've tried looking into the selectdata call, but that doesn't seem to work?

>I'm not sure what problem this is trying to solve.

I was just trying anything to see if there was a way to solve my original issue. Me mentioning the selectdata call was also just to inform that I can't get the call to work in general. Chronyc didn't seem to recognize it. I was just trying out all the commands in the chronyc documentation. Apologies that I wasn't more clear.

> There could be a new command added to change the offset of existing sources.

That could work. Currently my setup is mentioned above. It would sure save a lot of calls. In the meantime however, do you have any advice or suggestion on how to workaround my issue?

Thank you,
Ben Chang

On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 08:22:03PM +0000, Chang, Benjamin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there any way to add a refclock via a chronyc call similar to "chronyc add server?" I am trying to have my system sync to an ntp server first with an offset and then sync to a reference clock (a PPS). I want it so that when I start my code, it'll execute everything via the system("chronyc ") c call, which prevents me from just having the offset in the conf file since you can't edit the conf file indirectly.

No, refclocks cannot be added by chronyc. When chronyd is already running, it's not expected to have the permissions needed to open reference clocks.