Re: [chrony-users] Chronyc Call to Add Refclock

On Mon, Dec 07, 2020 at 01:52:42AM -0800, Hal Murray wrote:

> mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx said:
> > No, refclocks cannot be added by chronyc. When chronyd is already running,
> > it's not expected to have the permissions needed to open reference clocks.
>
> The admin can fix the file permissions.  What else in the refclock area needs
> special permission?

The admin could do that, but I don't think that's a good user
experience. I prefer consistency where possible. There should be only
one way for a refclock to be opened and that's chronyd on start when
it still has the root privileges.

The other issue is that it would be the first command that allows a
path to be specified or changed. Currently, you can be sure chronyd
won't touch anything else except what is specified in the config file
and the defaults.