Re: Re: [chrony-users] How to use Facebook's NTP-service correctly?

On Tue, Apr 07, 2020 at 04:41:27PM +0200, Lars-Daniel Weber wrote:
> Miroslav wrote:
> > Please note that they have enabled leap smearing, which means they
> > are incompatible with everything else.
>
> But is this not to be interpreted as an advantage? Since Chrony can do
> leap smearing (in contrast to systemd-timesyncd or ntp), this should
> be a good combination, right?
>
> Or do you mean, I cannot mix it with other NTP services. Google's time
> service also does leap smearing, I think.

Yes, if you decide to use the Facebook servers, you shouldn't use any
other servers.

Ideally, if there is a need for smearing leap seconds, it should be
done on the client side. It's faster and more accurate (see the
leapsecmode directive in the chrony.conf man page). But as only some
clients can actually do that, large companies have no choice but use a
server-side leap smear.