Re: [chrony-users] Does chrony support the DHCP option ntp-servers?

Hey there,

On 2020-03-31T17:09+0200, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 03:03:17PM +0000, Jason W. Lewis wrote:
Miroslav,
You are correct, this is about the client-side; I've already got my DHCP server configured.

After reading your and Holger's comments, I did realize I was going somewhat in the wrong direction, though.  As I now understand it, the configuration is (at least mostly) with the DHCP client.  I am working on this on CentOS 8, and am using Network Manager.  I see that NM has a chrony script (/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/20-chrony) which, when the network goes up or down, toggles the on/offline status of chrony.  I also see that it has a script (11-dhclient) looks to see if there are scripts in /etc/dhclient.d, and runs them.  One of the scripts it looks for is one for chrony.  Unfortunately, that directory doesn't exist, much less the script itself.

That missing script is /etc/dhcp/dhclient.d/chrony.sh. It all should
work out of the box. I maintain the chrony package in RHEL/CentOS. :)

Since NetworkManager now uses its internal DHCP client by default (well that’s the case in Debian), I’m wondering if this may be the source of the “problem” encountered by Jason‽ I still use dhclient as the NetworkManager DHCP client and things are working really great.

Jason, could you please check if setting dhclient as the default NetworkManager DHCP client helps?

Cheers,
Vincent