Re: [chrony-users] Time synchronisation over a high-latency packet radio network

On 8/5/19 11:29 am, Bill Unruh wrote:
> If the detector simply needs to be in the field for a few days, you can
> always
> set the rtc just before you put it into the field. It might, or might
> not hold
> reasonable accuracy for a couple of days (they can be out by many PPM
> especially if the temperater fluctuates) Let say 20PPM which is a couple
> of  seconds per
> day more or less. You might be lucky and get a better rtc, but it is
> dubious.

Indeed, that is the long-term intention… the PocketBeagle sets up a
USB-CDC Ethernet interface… whilst at base when we're programming it, it
can obtain the time via NTP (over the virtual Ethernet link), set the
RTC, then when we take it out to the field, it should have near-enough
correct time that `chronyd` will compensate.

That's good enough long-term, but will require a new board revision to
place a RTC and back-up battery/supercapacitor. :-)
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.