Re: [chrony-users] Time synchronisation over a high-latency packet radio network

Is there any possibility of using GPS for time?  I had a similar dilemma on my raspberry pi based boat computer.  I didn't want to rely on internet provided time since it might not be available if away from the slip.

On Tue, May 7, 2019, 11:30 AM Lonnie Abelbeck <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On May 6, 2019, at 10:53 PM, Stuart Longland <stuartl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a problem where I need to provide a time synchronisation
> service for small embedded computers whose only link to the outside
> world is a slow and high-latency packet radio network.

Stuart, Indeed very interesting...

> Below is my chronyd.conf:
> ----- BEGIN chronyd.conf -----
> # Welcome to the chrony configuration file. See chrony.conf(5) for more
> # information about usuable directives.
> pool 2.debian.pool.ntp.org iburst
>
> # NTP proxy over APRS
> server 127.0.0.1 port 3123 trust maxdelay 10 minpoll 3

Just curious, it appears you have native DNS, why do you need to proxy NTP over APRS (unless you use a similar technique for DNS).

BTW, at startup our project always steps the time using (8 second timeout would be too low for you):
--
chronyd -q -t 8 "server time.example.tld iburst"
--

Lonnie