Re: [chrony-users] Time synchronisation over a high-latency packet radio network

On 8/5/19 9:41 am, Bryan Christianson wrote:
> How about using a USB GPS device.
>
> Navisys have the GR-701W (https://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Car-GPS/p/sm/1145283340.htm?WT.pos_kw=prod_PrdtKWSImage_1_0_GR-701W_NonSP&WT.sad_id=1145283340#1145283340) which provides a PPS signal over USB and give you ± 10usecs precision.
>
> Cost and available power might be a factor for your application though.

USB is an option, but we don't require 10us precision (1 second is
enough for this application) and interfacing USB devices to a
PocketBeagle requires some external components, namely a USB-A connector
and a high-side USB power switch IC.

https://cdn.hackaday.io/images/9290121516436944161.jpg is one project
where I did do such an interface… and you can barely see the SOIC-8 part
tucked in beside that lower electrolytic capacitor and row of headers.

Doable, and I've made future provision for it, but as stated, I'm trying
to keep costs down.  If more hardware is the answer, my first stop will
be for a battery-powered RTC rather than a GPS.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.