[chrony-users] help us understand? :-)

We are using chrony to sync time in our ceph cluster, using the following servers:

server chime1.surfnet.nl offline minpoll 6 maxpoll 12 iburst
server chime2.surfnet.nl offline minpoll 6 maxpoll 12 iburst
server chime3.surfnet.nl offline minpoll 6 maxpoll 12 iburst
server chime4.surfnet.nl offline minpoll 6 maxpoll 12 iburst

However: ceph kept complaining occasionally that it detected a 'time skew' (sometimes) up to a whole second, even though "chronyc sources" showed that chrony was synced. We did not understand.

Then we discovered "chronyc activity" command, which showed this:

root@ceph2:/etc/chrony# chronyc activity
200 OK
0 sources online
4 sources offline
0 sources doing burst (return to online)
0 sources doing burst (return to offline)
0 sources with unknown address

Then I changed chrony.conf server to:

pool nl.pool.ntp.org iburst maxsources 8

and everything started working, we are synced now, chronyc activity shows ONLINE sources, and ceph says that time skew (generally) is 0.00000. All in all: we are very happy now.

But we wonder why can "chronyc cources" would say we are synced, when in fact we are a whole scond off. (claim from ceph, but verified by looking at "top" command in terminal windows: the ceph machines WERE not synced)

Unfortunately I don't have the chronyc sources output from the old situation to show. But nevertheless: perhaps someone can shed some light on this (to our eyes) mistery?

MJ