Re: [chrony-users] Re: GPS performance tuning of `offset`

On 2/4/19 6:10 pm, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
On Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 03:09:55PM +1100, Brendan Simon (eTRIX) wrote:
Just want to know which is the correct approach to set the refclock
`offset` parameter.  Out of the values in the table below, should I use
the minimum, maximum, average or something else?
The average would be best, but usually it doesn't matter much.

Are there any consequences if I use too small or too large a value?  eg.
0.3 v 0.4 or 0.5
If the SHM 0 refclock is used only for locking a PPS refclock, then it
just needs to be accurate enough to reliably lock the PPS.

If it will be used as the primary time source, a too small or too
large value will have a negative impact on the average error of the
clock.

I'm using SHM 0 as the primary time source, so I will use the average as suggested.

I haven't been able to get PPS going on my system (using either SHM 1 or SOCK).  I will revisit it that at some point in the future.

Thanks, Brendan.