Re: [chrony-users] Re: GPS performance tuning of `offset`

On Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 03:09:55PM +1100, Brendan Simon (eTRIX) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just want to know which is the correct approach to set the refclock
> `offset` parameter.  Out of the values in the table below, should I use
> the minimum, maximum, average or something else?

The average would be best, but usually it doesn't matter much.

> Are there any consequences if I use too small or too large a value?  eg.
> 0.3 v 0.4 or 0.5

If the SHM 0 refclock is used only for locking a PPS refclock, then it
just needs to be accurate enough to reliably lock the PPS.

If it will be used as the primary time source, a too small or too
large value will have a negative impact on the average error of the
clock.