Re: [chrony-users] Can chrony correct very wrong RTC?

Am 18.10.18 um 21:40 schrieb Bill Unruh:

William G. Unruh __| Canadian Institute for|____ Tel: +1(604)822-3273
Physics&Astronomy _|___ Advanced Research _|____ Fax: +1(604)822-5324
UBC, Vancouver,BC _|_ Program in Cosmology |____ unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Canada V6T 1Z1 ____|____ and Gravity ______|_ www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 01:25:58PM +0200, Leo von Klenze wrote:
1) on boot I set the Sysclock from the RTC via hwclock. hwclocks uses
the drift from /etc/adjtime
2) afterwards chrony is started and I configured chrony to synchronize
the RTC on runtime

rtcsync or rtcfile+rtcautotrim?

3) on shutdown I ensure that the RTC is set to the Sysclock one last
time via hwclock

It's not very clear to me how this works :). I think hwclock has the
same requirement as chrony, that it has to be the only program
adjusting the clock, otherwise the measured drift will be incorrect. I
guess switching between them is possible, but when one adjusts the
RTC, I think the drift file of the other one needs to be updated.

I think what he is doing is to measure the drift of the rtc when the computer
if off once by hand. He then enters that drift rate by hand into the adjtime
file on each shutdown, and does not allow hwclock to set it.
Exactly.

Trouble?  Email listmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

--

Leo von Klenze
Geschäftsführer

Scansation ist Top Supplier Retail
        2018!

Scansation GmbH
www.scansation.de

Zielstattstr. 133, 81379 München
Geschäftsführer: Andreas Klett, Leo von Klenze
Amtsgericht München, HRB 227036