Re: [chrony-users] Can chrony correct very wrong RTC?

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 10:10:38AM +0200, Leo von Klenze wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've a cubietruck with a very weird RTC. It is off by about 2384 seconds
> per day if the box is not running. While running the offset is just
> about 480s per day.

That's bad. Unless the board is always running, so the drift doesn't
change so much, I'm not sure how much the RTC support in chrony will
be useful.

> Is there anything chrony can do about it? I'm not quite sure out of the
> docs what chrony exactly is doing with the drift f the RTC. I'm using
> rtcfile option in config and "-s" switch on startup. However chrony sets
> the system clock from the RTC on startup but without any correction (as
> far as I can see).

AFAIK there is no limit on the frequency error.

Are there any errors from chronyd in the system log? What does the rtc
file contain when chronyd is starting? What does "chronyc rtcdata"
print?

> Can chrony handle such a case or do I have go get hwclock with
> /etc/adjtime in place as well?

It depends on what are your expectations. It certainly won't be able
to compensate for the "off" drift.

You can try hwclock, but I doubt it would do better (assuming chrony
works as expected).