Re: [chrony-users] Defaulting to stepping the clock

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 8:54 PM, Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What root cause? You start chronyd, either because you switched on the
> computer, or because you did not have it running for a year.  If you had it
> running shortly before you again switched on chronyd, it would have
> freewheeled the time and been reasonably on time. (one second typically
> would
> have taken it many days to accumulate. If the system clock  was out by
> 50PPM, for example because the temp was very different inside between when
> chonyd
> determined the rate and the time when chronyd was not running, it would have
> taken more than 6 hours to accumulate a second.
>
> So, it is really unclear to me what corner case you are worried about.

I'm thinking of things like a server rebooted and has a broken
hardware clock that stepped somewhere crazy (HW needs fixing). Or a VM
suddenly has a broken clock because of a host bug or config (host
needs fixing). Anything that's actually not a normal scenario like the
ones you've described. But I worry too much, stepping by default is
probably fine.

> And if it never gets answered, what is chronyd to do?

I was suggesting one of the questions in the installer, you can't not
answer it if you want to move on with the install. There used to be
(maybe still are) questions about having the hardware clock in local
time or UTC because of Windows being broken. Having the installer
doing it silently in the background might be fine as well.

Cheers,

Pedro