Re: [chrony-users] Defaulting to stepping the clock

makestep is an command to be run when chrond is started. When started it is
probably that the clock, whether on a server, a laptop or whatever, is out.
So, instead of trying to fix a huge offset at the startup of chronyd by
slewing the clock, it says to step the clock if it is out by over 1 sec. on
the first three updates.

The skew is the undertainty in the rate of the clock compared with the ntp
source. If larger than 100PPM uncertainty (not rate but uncertainty in the
rate) do not use that source to determine the rate.

William G. Unruh __| Canadian Institute for|____ Tel: +1(604)822-3273
Physics&Astronomy _|___ Advanced Research _|____ Fax: +1(604)822-5324
UBC, Vancouver,BC _|_ Program in Cosmology |____ unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Canada V6T 1Z1 ____|____ and Gravity ______|_ www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/