Re: [chrony-users] Time offset on versions 3+ without hw timestamping

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 06:26:51PM +0200, Thibaut BEYLER wrote:
> Thanks, that seems like an interesting solution for power-saving. So far i
> disabled c-state and power management system-wide (
> using /dev/cpu_dma_latency and governors) which gives really good results
> (more stable peer delay & std dev)
>
> My PPS stddev get under 500ns, I however still get a constant offset betwen
> my PPS source and my ntp sources of about 8-9us (same with different PPS
> sources)

Even if the CPU never enters a power-saving mode, I think there will
always be some delay between the interrupt and the kernel actually
making a PPS timestamp.

If the delay is stable and known, the measurements can be fixed with
the offset option.

A polling driver might be able to provide a better accuracy. I'm using
this one on a AR93xx-based board: https://github.com/mlichvar/pps-gpio-poll

Another way to get a sub-microsecond accuracy might be with the i210
card. It has software defined pins (SDP), which can be used for
external timestamping of a PPS signal. The extpps option of the PPS
refclock in chrony enables that.