Re: [chrony-users] New system ntp daemon on macOS 10.13

> On 26/07/2017, at 6:50 PM, Bryan Christianson <bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> On 26/07/2017, at 6:38 PM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Interesting. Do you have a packet capture you could share?
>
> I didn't think to keep a copy of the packet trace. From a cursory inspection it appeared to send an NTP packet to the server and get a response. That's all. The was some log activity as a result, reporting a bunch of data that didn't make much sense without the source code. 15 minutes later it did the same thing again.

One other thing I tried. I figured that if they were behaving as an sntp client, then chronyd should be able to run along side - i.e. no issues binding to port 123.
What happened was that whenever timed probed the server, it would step the clock by something just under 1 second. chronyd would then bring it back into line, taking about 7 minutes to do that, until timed fired again and the cycle repeated.

I had expected only a very small offset to have been reported after chronyd was synchronised, but that wasn't the case.

--
Bryan Christianson
bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx