[chrony-users] New system ntp daemon on macOS 10.13

I was just looking through macOS 10.13, wondering why ntpd was not running. Apple seem to have got rid of it and are now using something called timed.
I don't know anything at all about it, other than its running (I just enabled it after stopping chronyd) and I think is using the ntpd config files. There is a man page (posted below). It must have been around for a while as it was available in iOS 5.0

I guess its either NOT making any adjtime() calls and is exclusively using ntp_adjtime(), or alternatively, they have deliberately broken adjtime() in the kernel to match what this timed is expecting. Probably the former rather than the latter I would hope.

TIMED(8)                  BSD System Manager's Manual                 TIMED(8)

NAME
     timed -- time synchronization daemon

SYNOPSIS
     timed takes no arguments, and users should not launch it manually.

DESCRIPTION
     timed maintains system clock accuracy by synchronizing the clock with reference clocks via
     technologies like NTP.  Inputs are merged inside of timed, where it calculates uncertainty to
     facilitate scheduling proactive time jobs. timed is also aware of power/battery conditions.

FILES
     /etc/ntp.conf
                   NTP server configuration.

     /var/db/timed/com.apple.timed.plist
                   The cached state of timed

     /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.timed.plist
                   The timed service's property list file for launchd(8).

SEE ALSO
     date(1), settimeofday(2), adjtime(2), gettimeofday(2), launchd(8)

HISTORY
     This timed first appeared in Mac OS X 10.13 and iOS 5.0.

Darwin                         January 26, 2016                         Darwin

--
Bryan Christianson
bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx