Re: [chrony-users] Setting up Chrony with PPS

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016, Deven Hickingbotham wrote:

Rob,

Thanks for replying.

A little more info: my system is a Raspberry Pi 2 B. I have been able to get ntp to work with pps via GPIO pin 4. Had to recompile ntp to activate the pps support.

Don't let the above fool you into thinking I know what I am doing. I have some level of expertise with programming, but system level Linux stuff is a mystery to me. IOW, real clear step by step instructions are greatly appreciated!

If either module is being loaded, you should see a device (e.g. pps0) in
/sys/class/pps. If your GPS has a lock and the pps kernel module is
configured properly, you should see timestamps updating every second, e.g.

Yes, the /sys/class/pps/pps0 path exists and contains these files: subsystem (folder), assert, clear, dev, echo, mode, name, path, and uevent.

$cat /sys/class/pps/pps0/assert
1455831692.018636856#178

Are you seeing those?

Yes, but just one timestamp per execution:

pi@gps ~ $ cat /sys/class/pps/pps0/assert
1455835119.289108505#4272

Yes, as should be, assuming that it was about 33 sec between the one above and
below, and then about 3 sec. However I am worried that you are getting such differences in ms. What GPS
device are you using? Are you sure its PPS is working? Or is your computer
really that far off in its clock rate?

pi@gps ~ $ cat /sys/class/pps/pps0/assert
1455835154.690359907#4305
pi@gps ~ $ cat /sys/class/pps/pps0/assert
1455835157.936493770#4308
pi@gps ~ $ cat /sys/class/pps/pps0/assert
1455835160.102904599#4310

Have a look at the clear line to see if it is more regular (the ms should be
more or less the same