[chrony-users] What's changed in chrony-2.2?

I've been running chrony for many years with ne'er a problem, but now I have
one.

My two main machines are an i5 workstation and an Atom mini-server, both
running Gentoo stable. This week chrony was updated from 2.1.1 to 2.2, and
now it won't start on the Atom though it seems fine on the i5.

I suspect that my kernel config may be set up wrongly but after several
hours of poring over it I can't see what might be wrong.

Has something changed in chrony's kernel config requirements? I've attached
my config file in case it helps. Meanwhile, ...

$ grep RTC /usr/src/linux/.config | grep -v '^#'
CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC=y
CONFIG_RTC_LIB=y
CONFIG_RTC_CLASS=y
CONFIG_RTC_INTF_SYSFS=y