Re: [chrony-users] What's changed in chrony-2.2?

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 04:30:55PM +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> My two main machines are an i5 workstation and an Atom mini-server, both
> running Gentoo stable. This week chrony was updated from 2.1.1 to 2.2, and
> now it won't start on the Atom though it seems fine on the i5.

What exactly does it do? Crash on segfault, a fatal error, an
assertion error, or something else? As Bill says, there might be
something in the syslog.

How do your chrony.conf and chronyd command line look like?

> I suspect that my kernel config may be set up wrongly but after several
> hours of poring over it I can't see what might be wrong.
>
> Has something changed in chrony's kernel config requirements? I've attached
> my config file in case it helps. Meanwhile, ...

The most significant change between 2.1.1 and 2.2 is that chronyd
creates a Unix domain socket in /var/run/chrony. I see in your kernel
config it's a module, maybe it's not loaded? But even if it wasn't I
think it would just send an error message to syslog and continue
without the command socket.

In Fedora the SELinux rules had to be updated to allow chronyd to
create the socket, but that didn't prevent it from running (with
reduced functionality).