Re: [chrony-users] Fwd: Chrony malfunctioning at beaglebones

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 5:20 PM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But can we safely assume noone needs to keep time in the past, for
> instance to workaround a bug in some unsupported software?

This would only limit being able to CHANGE the time to the past
OFFLINE (initiated by the RTC).

I don't see a actual scenario that would be affected. Ok, you want to
run the time in the past.

1- You want several computers running with a "island" time. That is,
you in fact want NTP. So you just change the time at the NTP server,
and so the change is not initiated by the RTC. Not affected.

2- You just want your computer running a "custom" time in the past.
What is the role of Chrony on that? You'll need to disable chrony or
use a special config. Custom case where the default setting will never
apply anyway.

> And if we could add such check for the RTC, could we check also time
> received from NTP servers and refuse to go in the past?

I don't think so. At least that would be another option, not related
to this issue.

I mean, you could also have a configuration related to makestep to say
"if the estimate is over 1 hour, do a step, if the estimate is over 1
day, do not try to correct because NTP time is unreliable.".

But that looks to be that should be user-configurable, if done, while
the RTC can be solved by default without side effects.

Thanks,
Nuno