|Re: [chrony-users] Fwd: Chrony malfunctioning at beaglebones|
[ Thread Index |
| More chrony.tuxfamily.org/chrony-users Archives
- To: chrony-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [chrony-users] Fwd: Chrony malfunctioning at beaglebones
- From: Nuno Gonçalves <nunojpg@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 17:42:27 +0100
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to :content-type; bh=5NlOF9c3SGDtwIvTKJ7B2OdTmF3F12D4p53znSh5kwY=; b=fn3q9N/Y0bnV8lX9MxmSgX+Al4MgnHMJfqGqt0MY/TH06da8a2oU4fCoHDUWzn7gzn WWgPnZ5D59I10eFD4NvLlCoo9vkNZFH0pZYsWUCBUIXiHQhzJhTcqbD5atp7ahkXKzaM i2NfED+T/9fZ05yWftJAOqCbcf7d7c2GB8J2pwMB/OG27bzrgCNaY9NphNr75LxErrzX YLsYvfTxjKZU94enG56NBsJKoxV0AyDZoJgW8kNxduRyz5tWlSGlIfJdyI1dwyfftjf0 G7rl6XC32+Zpf/vQBZJT/7iQpYikZoBKwvz+v6GLVtc+LYc/YyGeHk+8wdLL2LjQcxML OWxA==
On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 5:20 PM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But can we safely assume noone needs to keep time in the past, for
> instance to workaround a bug in some unsupported software?
This would only limit being able to CHANGE the time to the past
OFFLINE (initiated by the RTC).
I don't see a actual scenario that would be affected. Ok, you want to
run the time in the past.
1- You want several computers running with a "island" time. That is,
you in fact want NTP. So you just change the time at the NTP server,
and so the change is not initiated by the RTC. Not affected.
2- You just want your computer running a "custom" time in the past.
What is the role of Chrony on that? You'll need to disable chrony or
use a special config. Custom case where the default setting will never
> And if we could add such check for the RTC, could we check also time
> received from NTP servers and refuse to go in the past?
I don't think so. At least that would be another option, not related
to this issue.
I mean, you could also have a configuration related to makestep to say
"if the estimate is over 1 hour, do a step, if the estimate is over 1
day, do not try to correct because NTP time is unreliable.".
But that looks to be that should be user-configurable, if done, while
the RTC can be solved by default without side effects.
To unsubscribe email chrony-users-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
with "unsubscribe" in the subject.
For help email chrony-users-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
with "help" in the subject.
Trouble? Email listmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.