Re: [chrony-users] Two Issues

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 11:01:34AM -0400, Weary1 wrote:
> BTW...  This is far from important, but I'm curious:  Sometimes, but ONLY
> sometimes, when I issue a "chronyc sources -v" command, the response
> hesitates significantly (up to several seconds) at one or more points in the
> server list, as if it is having trouble finding the data.  What would cause
> this?

That's chronyc translating the IP addresses to names and DNS not
responding quickly enough. Use "chronyc -n" to avoid DNS lookups.

> >Delaying start of chronyd until network is probably a better idea.
>
> Any ideas on exactly how to do this?  I've yet to really get my head wrapped
> around the Debian start-up sequence, with its branched "run levels" and
> funky coded script-filenames scheme, and all that; and I'm more than a
> little gun-shy about making changes I'm not sure of, lest I *really* screw
> something up.

I'm not sure what's the best way to do this on Debian, it will depend
on the networking service/manager. With dhclient, it should be
possible to (re)start chronyd from a hook script, see the
dhclient-script(8) man page.

> >You could also try cleaning /etc/resolv.conf before chronyd is
> >started, so it would keep trying resolving until the DHCP client
> >starts and rewrites the file.
>
> Again, how exactly would I "clean" /etc/resolv.conf ?

If there is no proper way, add a service that starts before chronyd
and runs "> /etc/resolv.conf".

> It already looks pretty clean to me; just four lines:
>
>     domain <my domain name>
>     search <my domain name>
>     nameserver <IP address of my LAN's FW/router)
>                (which serves DHCP to the rest of the network)
>     nameserver <IP address of my ISP's primary DNS server>

The nameservers shouldn't be there until the network is up. That
would possibly change the resolver's failure from permanent to
temporary and chronyd would try again.