Re: [chrony-users] Two Issues

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 09:58:34AM -0400, Weary1 wrote:
> On 03/12/2015 06:04 AM, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> >
>     [snip]
> >
> >One workaround is to specify the servers with IP addresses instead of
> >names.
>
> I've been using the fully-qualified host names for two main reasons:
>
> 1. - Those servers (and the networks they're hung off of) are not under my
> control.  So what happens if/when their IP address assignments change?

Yeah, that would be a problem, but I'd not expect this to happen
frequently with public NTP servers.

> 2. - I would prefer to see the server names in the listing produced by a
> "chronyc sources", as it's easier to recognize which is which.

It would still print the names, chronyd works only with IP addresses
once the names are resolved and chronyc translates them back to names
(unless the -n option is used).

> Half-baked idea #647:  I doubt this is "kosher"; but would it foul things up
> too badly if I were to define each source "server" twice, once by host name
> and once by raw IP?

I'd not recommend that. Delaying start of chronyd until network is
probably a better idea.

You could also try cleaning /etc/resolv.conf before chronyd is
started, so it would keep trying resolving until the DHCP client
starts and rewrites the file.

The best option here would be update to a more recent version.