Re: [chrony-users] Chrony Accuracy

On 08/12/14 10:54, Hosam Hittini wrote:
> Actually I need accuracy in the order of nano seconds
> Is it possible to achieve such accuracy if I have a dedicated LAN NTP server?

Uhm.. Nanoseconds (and what deviation?) might be a tall order, and you are certainly NOT going to get that from chrony, normal whitebox PC hardware or even 1Gb Ethernet on a cheap switch.

AFAIK the best you can do on a LAN right now is PTP (high-precision NTP for industrial control systems or HFT) with NICs that have HW timestamping, but you will still need a reference clock.

Here is a great article that describes PTP and how it differs from NTP:
http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2354406

The more or less official Linux package:
http://linuxptp.sourceforge.net/

For the HW clock your options mostly depend on your budget.. :)

-h